Rajasthan Public Service Commission
RAS Pre-Syllabus: Sociology (Code No. 28)
Sociology as a Science
- Relation of Sociology with other Social Sciences : Economic, Political
Science and Social Anthropology.
Basic Concepts :
- Society : Meaning, nature and characteristics.
- Community : Meaning and characteristics, Relationship with society.
- Association : Meaning and characteristics.
- Social Institution : Meaning, characteristics and forms; functions,
difference between Social institution and Association.
- Social Group : Meaning and characteristics, Types - Primary and Secondary
- Social Interaction : Contact, communication and interest fulfilment.
- Culture : Meaning, characteristics, components and cultural processes.
- Social Structure : Meaning, characteristics and theories.
- Social Stratification : Meaning, bases, forms and theories.
- Status and Role : Meaning, types and mutual relationship.
- Norms and Values : Meaning, types and mutual relationship.
- Social Processes : Meaning, nature and forms-cooperation, competition and
- Socialization : Concept, types, agencies and theories.
- Social Deviance : Meaning, Forms and theories.
- Social Change : Meaning, factors and theories. Change, progress and
development, Directed social change.
Magic, Religion and Science
- Indian Society : Socio-cultural factors; Unity and diversity.
- Caste in India : Features, origin and changing patterns.
- Purusharatha and Varnasharma Vyavastha : Objectives, features and forms.
Marriage and Family in India : Features, forms, changes, problem and related
- Kinship in India : Features, types and usages.
- Residence and Descent : Rules, forms and primogeniture.
- Status of Women in India : Changes, problems and related laws.
- Population Problem in India : Causes, forms extent and remedies.
- Current Social Problems in India : Casteism, communalism, regionalism,
poverty, bondage of labour, child misuse, environmental pollutions, crime and
juvenile delinquency and youth unrest. Scheduled Castes and
- Scheduled Tribes
in India : Problems, safeguard, Constitutional provisions and related
- Induced Social Change in India : Aims, Plans, Projects & Schemes. Rural
and Tribal Development strategies and Agencies.
- Urbanization and Industrialization in India : Positive and negative
implications for social life in India.
Panchayati Raj in India
Economic and Political Systems of simple and complex societies.
Go TO RPSC Examination Syllabus Page
GOSF Offers : Save upto 80%
11-13 DEC 2013